Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Happiness Is . . .

Fill in the Blank.

My new creative inspiration? The happiness book. An idea has discovered me in the last day or two as I am faced with another artistic compilation I must present to my classmates and possibly future students. I am forced to look at my life and sift it down to core concepts appropriate for children. The reality of my life is, its just pretty adult-like right now. How can I talk to students about what its like to have your dreams shattered? Or how to come to peace when you fear you have no strength left? Well, My future students may not yet understand what I am dealing with, but they each have their own struggles. Legitimate struggles, just different. But one thing that humans of all age understand, is happiness. And there is plenty to be grateful for at all stages of life. The Happiness book will be a compilation of mini-poems devoted to what makes me happy for that day. Happiness is . . . A Crisp fall day. Happiness is . . . Loving Myself. Happiness is . . . laughter. Happiness my husband. Happiness is . . . . my bounding boxer. Happiness is . . . a real hug. Happiness is . . . frienship. Happiness . . . a carmel apple spice. Happiness is . . . Hope in Jesus. Happiness is . . . taking the bad with the good.

I am not sure exactly what the end product is. But my hope is to articulate that happiness does not mean we don't have pain, or bad days. It means we live mindfully of all that we have to be grateful for and continually look for and nurture the good things in our life. When dreams are shattered, new dreams begin to form. It is in our lowest point of weakness that real strength can begin to form. In my darkest hour, Christ lead me through the dark tunnels of sorrow, His light alone has got me through. Sometimes, I think I may still be in those tunnels, but I see a light at the end. The journey isn't over, but he brought me out of utter darkness into a renewed hope for life. That is a reason to live, and a pretty good reason to be happy. And certainlly enough reason to devote an entire book to happiness.

Thank you God for healing, and the blessing of joy and hope amidst the journey.

No comments: